- First, download the installation program found above.
- Once it has downloaded, unzip the contents to a location, such as your desktop or download folder
- Run "Setup.exe" and proceed through the various screens. **You may be prompted about installing an application from an "unknown publisher". There is (of course) a cost to becoming a "known publisher", and in order to keep the app free I have forgone that cost. Take my assurance for what it is worth that the app is genuine and contains no malicious code.
- When the installation is complete, you should see a shortcut on your desktop, and another in your start menu for "SAR ICS Form Helper". Double click on the shortcut to run the app.
- After your first installation, it is suggested you check for updates to the various preset assignments and reflex tasks. To do this, go to "Updates" > "Check for Data Updates" in the app.
To update the data files within the app, click on "Updates" and "Check For Data Updates" in the menu at the top of the app. This will allow you to download any new preset assignment descriptions, reflex tasks, safety plans or incident objects which have been created recently. When updating, the system will NOT remove or change any of your existing information, it will simply add additional items as appropriate.
To update the app itself, click on "Updates" and "Check for App Updates" in the menu at the top of the app. If there is a newer version of the app available, you'll be directed to this website to download it. On some systems, you may need to uninstall the current version before installing the new one. Note that if you do, you will NOT lose any data, it is saved elsewhere and will be unaffected. Simply follow the instructions for Installation above.
You can add your own preset team assignment descriptions, safety plans, incident objectives or reflex tasks within the app. Once you do, they'll be available for you on this computer in the future. To add new items, click on "Edit" on the menu at the top of the main screen of the app, and select the appropriate option.
There are also a few general options such as your common radio frequencies, and some print options. Once set, these will carry over from task to task on this computer.
Whenever you select the option to print something from the app, it will automatically generate a PDF document and open it on your computer using the default program. As noted above, you will need Adobe Reader or another program to view and print PDF documents.
By default, the app saves copies of these PDFs in your "Documents" folder under "SAR ICS Form Helper", with a sub-folder for each task.
In some cases, anti-randsomware security programs will prevent the app from saving to your Documents folder. In this case, it should prompt you to select another save location. If you persistently encouter problems with the PDF not opening check your antivirus program and make an exception for the app.
Feedback / Feature Requests
If you have feedback on the app, wish to report a bug, or have a suggestion for a feature please Contact Us. Do understand this app is created and maintained as a service to BC SAR groups at no cost, so maintain expectations of timely responses and quick updates accordingly!
This software is provided as-is with no guarantees of performance or efficacy, please use at your own risk. It is highly recommended you be prepared with a backup option should the app not function as expected during a task.